05 February 2010

Breaking down your preconceived notions. Part 1 of MANY

As I may or may not have told many of you, I have been charged with a DUI (back in 2008).  I've done my time, but wanted to pass along some things I've learned throughout the judicial process, as well as the nightmares that come with it.

First, let me start off by saying, no one was injured, since I was the only person involved in the incident.  I'm sure some of you are fuming that I wasn't killed because I got behind the wheel while intoxicated, let me assure you, living with the guilt is much harder than just dying...I’m just saying.

Let’s set the stage shall we?  Remember when I wrote that post about my phone becoming a fish?  This was that night, talk about bad omens.  It was my High School Reunion, open bar, and the booze was flowing faster than the Mississippi after a rain storm.  I drank way too much, but I had thought about getting a hotel, instead of driving home (see I did plan ahead) as the party ended, I was left alone, so I did the one thing that comes natural to me.  I drove home (or made a valiant attempt).  I’m not going to go into too much detail regarding the incident itself, but I will tell you about being arrested, dealing with the MVA, getting a lawyer, dealing with security issues, Alcohol Education, having an Interlock device, and finally court.  It was an 18 month process, and in the end, I finally learned my lesson.

Total Cost of my DUI?
$7,249.80 (and that doesn’t include having to buy a new car)

I'll be writing updates every Friday, so keep a look out, and if you don't want to hear about it, go ahead and un-sub...

3 comments:

  1. A costly lesson...in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch. yea i'd say you learned your lesson. everyone deserves a fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my good friends got a DUI the first month he lived out here and always describes it as "the most expensive lesson I ever learned."

    ReplyDelete